So this sweet treat is something I had never encountered until I moved to Latvia. But man, do we all love it and it disappears like crazy! Plus it is a no bake thing, and as long as you plan ahead it is super easy.
400 g. digestive cookies, or Selga.
200 g. butter
1/2 c. sugar
6 T. cocoa
200 g. marmalade (a jelly candy, softer than gumdrops)
Optional: nuts, raisins, etc.
- Roughly break the cookies. Put in large bowl. Set aside and lay out a large piece of baking paper, at least 20-24 inches long.
- Chop the marmalade into small pieces. Add to the big bowl, set aside.
- Melt the butter, sugar, and eggs while stirring. I melt these together so the eggs get cooked. Then stir in the cocoa., pour this mixture over the cookies and marmalade. Stir to coat.
- Distribute mixture onto prepared baking paper, keeping it in a long pile/log in the middle. Begin slowly rolling into a log, wrapping the paper and pressing, wrap, press, roll until you have a firm log, rolling the ends in to somewhat seal the roll. Transfer to a large tray and put in in the fridge to firm up for at least 8 hours.
- Unroll, slice in 1/4-1/2 in. slices, and serve.