Winter has come early here in Latvia- usually we do not get snow before my birthday in mid November . But we have had it since the beginning of the month here and soup season has officially started in my book.
I love having soup and fresh bread and have already made that meal twice this week. Having a new baby makes soup an easy reheatable leftovers meal and I sure appreciate that now with four kids 🙂
I was very excited to snag a new soup magazine at the store last week with 50 recipes to try- they look easy and practical. I adapted this one and am translating it into English for you here with my notes.
This recipe is from the Ievas Magazine Soups- November edition
400 g tomato pieces in juice (I used 700 g of frozen tomatoes)
200 ml. water or broth ( I used a bit more. I also added a few tablespoons of tomato sauce/paste I had open)
300 g. ground beef
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 onion chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 carrots, grated
150 g. frozen peas ( I used green beans instead because that is what i have and my kids prefer beans over peas)
1 small zucchini grated
3 T. bread crumbs
Salt, pepper, garlic powder (my edition)
Sour cream, dill, green onions for garnish
- Chop veges and cook in a bit of oil (not including beans or peas)
- Add tomatoes and water or broth.Boil about 30 min till tomatoes start to dissolve.
- While the soup is boiling prepare meatballs. Mix meat, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and egg.Stir or mix with hands to make a well blended mass.
- When soup has boiled 30 min- remove from heat and use a hand blender or stand blender to puree. Be careful- this is HOT.
- Return to boiling and drop meatballs into broth, add frozen peas or beans. Cook for at least 10 min. more until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve and garnish.
My older kids; ages 8 and 6 and my husband and I really enjoyed this soup. My 4 year old always turns up his nose at soup- but did eat it in the end. I liked that I snuck the zucchini into their stomachs without them knowing.
Let me know how you like this soup!
Stay warm and enjoy your day!
What kind of soup do you LOVE?